Legal Separation In Portland Oregon
Unlike a divorce, legal separation does not mean the end of your marriage; it simply means that you and your spouse choose to live separate lives while remaining legally married. The intent of a legal separation is to work out an agreement and/or court order, for things like the division of your assets, child custody, visitation, and support. This court order aims to protect your interests until you reconcile, file for divorce, or the death of either party. (It may be helpful to read our page on “Divorce” as all the same rules of law and procedures are followed in a Legal Separation as in a Dissolution of Marriage.)
A legal separation is not a necessary step in obtaining a divorce. However, if the decision to divorce is made down the road a judge may decide that since you were satisfied with your legal separation agreement, the same arrangement should carry over to the divorce settlement agreement. It is for this reason you will want to consult with an experienced Portland family law attorney.
Here are some typical reasons we see people looking for a legal separation:
- It allows couples time apart, away from the conflict of the marriage to decide if divorce is what they truly want.
- It may allow for the retention of medical benefits and certain other benefits that divorce would bring to an end.
- If your religious beliefs conflict with the idea of divorce, you are able to live separately and retain your marital status.
- If you are a military spouse, you may wish to remain married for 10 years so that you can take advantage of the benefits set up by the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act.
- Remaining married for 10 years or more also means being able to take advantage of certain social security benefits for a spouse.
- If the decision to divorce is made, the legal separation agreement can likely be converted into a divorce settlement agreement.
A RIGHT PORTLAND LEGAL SEPARATION LAWYER FOR YOU
Your Legal Separation requires careful preparation and a man can benefit greatly from the guidance of a legal separation lawyer well versed in Oregon State legal separation laws. Many legal separations bring to the table a host of complicated and sometimes highly contested issues, which range from child support and custody to business ownership and investments.
At Goldberg Jones our legal separation lawyers have been representing husbands and fathers in obtaining a Oregon State legal separation agreement for over 13 years. When couples legally separate but don’t file for divorce, their marriage is in a sort of limbo. A lot can happen during this stage of separation, so you will want to make sure you have appropriate representation.
Oregon state family laws may not have been written to favor women, but many men feel that is the practical result. As a man it is especially crucial that you seek an experienced legal separation lawyer. Our legal separation attorneys represent husbands and fathers in the greater Portland Oregon area as well as Clark County in Washington State.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED AT NO CHARGE
We know you have more questions, and we have more answers. As a place to start, call one of our family law attorneys at 1-800-DIVORCE. (1 800 348-6723.) We’ll answer phone questions about your situation at no charge. There’s no obligation, and it’s free. If you want to schedule an appointment with one of our family law lawyers, the cost is just $95 for a one-hour initial consultation. You may also e-mail us directly by clicking here:
As a man, you have legal rights in a legal separation. The legal separation attorneys of Goldberg Jones are focused on achieving a man’s rights, YOUR rights, in any case involving legal separation, divorce, child custody, child support and nearly all other areas of family law. It can be an unfair world. As a man, you deserve representation from the Portland family law lawyers at Goldberg Jones.